The Claret-and-Cobalt met up with Sporting KC in Kansas City on Tuesday in MLS Reserve League play. RSL finished the 90 minute match with a 1 – 0 victory.
There were several positives from the match that should bode well moving forward for Real.
- This is just the second match the RSL Reserves have won this season. Their current record is 3-5-1. The third victory coming with a forfeit from Houston last week due to international call ups and several ill players on their roster. The RSL Reserves have struggled for results this year and the win is certainly a turn for the positive.
- Injured defenders Jamison Olave (69 minutes), Chris Schuler (90 minutes) and Kenny Mansally (72 minutes) all played in the match. As Real prepares for their upcoming CCL and MLS matches, the match fitness of these three will be key. Their return to availability in the roster is a major plus for RSL.
- Emiliano Bonfigli and Sebastian Velasquez coalesced for some combination play. The result of one of their drives led to Emi getting behind the Sporting KC defense and into a one-on-one situation with the KC keeper, Jon Kempin. Kempin took out Bonfigli instead of playing the ball on the play. As a result he was ejected from the match for denying a goal scoring opportunity. Bonfigli stepped up to take the ensuing PK and converted it for the lone goal for either side.
- Justin Braun started at forward and had several shots on goal including a diving header.
- Several young RSLs featured in the match and played meaningful minutes including: Carlos Salcedo (Academy), Ive Burnett (Academy), Enzo Martinez, Nico Muniz, Sebastian Velasquez, Luis Gil, Emiliano Bonfigli.
RSL Reserves coach Jeff Cassar said of the match:
“Getting Chris Schuler, Jamison Olave and Kenny Mansally minutes was huge, too. It was good to get them all back on the field and get some good minutes in.”“I thought the effort was fantastic. It was a warm day but the effort that the guys put forth was great. I thought the goal that we created was very good. It was a nice combo in the midfield, Sebastian Velasquez played [Bonfigli] in behind and Emi did a great job to get around the keeper, earn the penalty and then convert it.”
On Olave’s performance…
“Olave was fantastic. He looked really sharp and really in command going against Dom Dwyer. He’s very physical, very strong and Jamison handled him very nicely. It was a really good game for him to get his feet wet.”
Watch the Match Highlights:
The RSL Reserves next face the Houston Dynamo at America First on Oct. 10 for their final match of the season.
To stay up to date with the inside scoop on RSL action follow us on Twitter, Like us on Facebook and hang with us on Google+ with the icons to the far left.
Share your opinions and comments on the match with us below. We love to hear feedback from other die-hard RSL and MLS fans.